I wrote 2 pages about new models of information literacy in affinity spaces today, or about 968 words.
I’m trying a new thing with my writing. Usually my process is Read > Take Notes > Concept Map > Outline > Write, the whole paper at once. But right now I’m trying a thing where it’s Read > Take Notes > Quick Outline > Write for just a small chunk of the paper and I’m really liking it.
I’ve probably read that this was a good way to write in a million places, but I can’t identify any of them right now.
There are lots of gaps, but I wouldn’t even know those gaps were there before I started writing, so there we are. If you’ve been struggling, maybe try this more cyclical writing process.
Today I added 11 studies to my concept map for my makerspaces literature review.
Tomorrow: finishing my outline.
And then, I write.
I will write a bad first draft. And it will be good to have written.
Surprise work session today! Took advantage of bonus nanny time to get a couple’s work session in at the coffee shop near my house. Get you a partner who will sit across a table in silence from you while you both have your laptops out and secretly look at pictures of the kid you have together after you use a little work break to upload them to your shared album.
On to the reporting!
I reviewed and wrote synthetic notes for three studies today. Call that 600 words.
Then I transcribed synthetic notes for twelve studies from my notebook into Google Drive.
NEXT STEPS: revisiting my conceptual synthesis spreadsheet and adding new details to it. Making a new concept map. Revising my outline. Getting this chunk of my comps package drafted.
Today I have reviewed and written a synthetic note for one journal article.
I also wrote my earlier blog post.
(I did some other stuff, too. But it isn’t tied so directly with my writing.)
As promised yesterday, I’m going to start tracking my daily work productivity, mostly to help me realize that yes, I’ve actually done stuff. First we’ll get a macro picture of everything I’ve written as part of my doctoral program, and then I’ll get into the work I’ve been doing for my comprehensive exams, where I will detail more than just words written.
I have written the following items as part of my doctoral coursework:
- The Maker Movement and Learning in School Libraries. Literature review. 8,000 words.
- The Role of Archives and Special Collections in K-12 Instruction. Literature review. 7,000 words.
- Organizing and Describing Information for Children. Literature review. 5,000 words.
- School Librarians as Leaders. Literature review. 5,000 words.
- Special Education Training for Preservice School Librarians. Original research. 4,000 words.
- “A Real Fun Scene”: Learning Improvisational Comedy in Community. Original research. 7,000 words.
- Everyday Life Information Needs of Adolescents. Literature review. 4,000 words.
- Designing Information Retrieval Interfaces for Children’s Use. Literature review. 5,000 words.
- Libraries, Tabletop Roleplaying Games, and Teen Identity Development. Literature review. 6,000 words.
- Cultivating a Community of School Librarian Scholars. Literature review. 6,000 words.
- Unlocking the Door to Adventure: Cultivating a Community of Practice in Improvisational Comedy (and related assignments). Original research. 10,000 words.
- Expansive Learning, Third Spaces, and Culturally Sustaining Pedagogy (and related assignments). Literature review. 5,000 words.
- Learning from Library Escape Games. Research proposal. 1,000 words.
- Decolonizing and Participatory Research with Youth in Library Makerspaces (and related assignments). Literature review. 7,000 words.
- Possible Selves. Literature review. 6,000 words.
- Teen Participation in Library Makerspaces: A Grounded Theory Study. Research proposal. 5,000 words.
- Youth-driven School Library Services. Research proposal. 1,000 words.
- Racial Equity Initiatives in North Carolina’s Public Schools. White paper. (Co-authored.) 6,000 words.
In the two and a half years of my coursework, I wrote 98,000 words.
Not bad. (Please don’t ask how many I published.)
Now, let’s talk about the work I’ve done on the comprehensive examination literature review package.
I identified 179 studies that were potentially of interest. Of those, I have identified as useful, read, and reviewed 35 studies. I have written synthetic notes for 33 of those; at an average of about 250 words each, that’s a total of 8,000 words. This is a marked drop-off in word count output. There are several non-writing reasons for that. I’m going to ramp it back up in the near future.
So that’s where I was as of yesterday. Look for another update after today’s work session!