I’m an award-winning writer of both professional and research literature. You can read a lot of my writing here on my blog. You can also find my writing elsewhere:
- “Writing the New Ethnography (Goodall, 2000) Review” Quirkos, 2021.
- “A priori coding is A-OK!” Quirkos, 2021.
Trade Journal Articles
- “Resolving the Quiet Crisis: Reading Apprenticeships in Middle and High Schools.” With Katelyn Browne and Elizabeth Koehler. School Library Monthly, 26(4), 34-36, 2011.
- “Learning to Create Inclusive & Equitable Library Services through Project READY.” With Sandra Hughes-Hassell and Casey Rawson. In Julie Stivers (Ed.), Include. ALA Editions, 2020.
- “Gaming for the 21st Century Learner” in School Libraries: What’s Now, What’s Next, What’s Yet to Come, 2011.
- “Legal Education for School Librarians,” with William Cross in School Libraries: What’s Now, What’s Next, What’s Yet to Come, 2011.
Professional Development Curriculum
- Project READY: Reimagining Equity and Access for Diverse Youth. With Sandra Hughes-Hassell and Casey Rawson, 2019.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles and Other Research Writing
- Description framework of makerspaces: Examining the relationship between spatial arrangement and diverse user populations, journarl article, 2023. With Drs. Marijel Melo and Laura March and Emily Arnsberg.
- Makerspaces in Libraries at U.S. Public Colleges and Universities: A Census, journal article, 2023. With Drs. Marijel Melo and Laura March.
- Where’d You Get Those Nightcrawler Hands? The Information Literacy Practices of Cosplayers, Doctoral dissertation, 2021.
- The Transformative Leadership Practices of National Board Certified School Librarians in North Carolina, Masters thesis, 2011.
These are pieces I wrote as part of my doctoral program but do not intend to submit for publication. I am listing them in order from most recent to least recent; if you read them in the reverse order, you can follow my growth as a writer during my program.
- Expansive Learning, Third Spaces, and Culturally Sustaining Pedagogy, 2017.
- Decolonizing and Participatory Research with Youth in Library Makerspaces, 2017.
- Designing Information Retrieval Systems for Children’s Use, 2016.
- Everyday Life Information Needs of Adolescents, 2016.
- The Maker Movement and Learning in School Libraries, 2015.
- School Librarians as Leaders, 2015.
- Special Education Training for Preservice School Librarians, 2015.
- Thre Role of Archives and Special Collectiosn in K-12 Education, 2015.
- Organizing and Describing Information for Children, 2015.